Pernille Bjørn, Professor in CSCW at Computer Science Department at University of Copenhagen DIKU.
New Thematic journal Issue on Social Networks in Software engineering is out where I have collaborated with international researchers Marco Gerosa (Sao Paolo University, Brazil), David Redmiles (University of California, Irvine), and Anita Sarma (Oregon State University, USA) over the last two years to put together this special issue. The issue have been published Open-Access in the Journal of Internet Services and Applications – and all papers are free for download:
Gerosa, Marco Aurelio, Redmiles, David, Bjørn, Pernille, & Sarma, Anita. (2015). Editoral: Thematic series on software engineering from a social network perspective. Journal of Internet Services and Applications, 6(23), 1-5. doi: 10.1186/s13174-015-0038-0
Pernille’s main interest is to investigate how people collaborate within complex work arrangement aiming at developing concepts useful for the design of collaborative technologies - and her main research area is Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW). She has conducted ethnographic studies of collaborative work practices in several domains such as healthcare, engineering, and software development.
Currently she is involved in two research projects: NexGSD and ConflictIT.
In NexGSD her main interest is global software development, where she is responsible for the ethnographic studies in 5 different organisational setups with different industry partners, as part of the NexGSD research project, which is a 5 years research project on global software development funded by the Danish strategic research council.
In Conflict IT, we are exploring new ways to theoretically address collaborative settings within conflicted cities, and this year we are running two interdisciplinary workshops in Copenhagen and at the ECSCW in Oslo. Call for position papers are open until August 10th 2015.
Pernille’s research is in the cross-roads between CSCW, STS, CHI, and IS research. She has over 60 publications in peer-reviewed conference proceedings (e.g. CHI, CSCW, ECSCW) as well as in high-ranking journals such as the Journal of Computer Supported Cooperative Work, International Journal of Medical Informatics, Information System Journal, Action Research Journal, Science & Technology Studies, European Journal of Information Systems, Scandinavian Journal of Information Systems, and IEEE Transaction on Professional Communication.
Past and current university affiliations includes Professor in CSCW (May 2015-ongoing), Computer Science Department, University of Copenhagen DIKU; Associate Professor and Head of the research group: Technologies in Practice, IT University in Copenhagen., IT University of Copenhagen, Denmark (February 2009-April 2015); assistant professor IT University of Copenhagen (September 2008-January 2009); visiting faculty at University of California, Irvine, USA (July 2013-August 2014) and part of ISTC center for research on social computing ; visiting faculty at the Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore, India (December 2011-January 2012); Post-doctoral fellow Simon Fraser University, British Columbia, Canada (December 2006-August 2008); Roskilde University, Denmark.
- Karim Jabbar, DIKU (2015-), main supervisor
- Stina Mathiassen, ITU (2013-), main supervisor
- Rasmus Eskild Jensen, ITU (2011-2015), main supervisor
- Naja Holten Møller, ITU, (2009-2013), main supervisor
- Morten Esbernsen, ITU, co-supervisor
- Rikke Lindskilde, Industrial PhD, co-supervisor
- Steven Jeuris, ITU, co-supervisor
- Archisman Majumdar, IIM-B, co-supervisor (graduated 2013)
Selected previous and current engagements and activities:
- ECSCW2017 - program committee
- Interact2017 - program committee
- CHI2017- sub-committee co-chair, Beyond the individual...
- Invited talk "Global software development: From Distance to politics", Århus University, March 2016
- Invited keynote, The Dark side of Global Agile: From Distance to Politics
- Learnings from the Next Generation Tools and Processes for Global Software Development (nexgsd.org), Distribueret systemutvikling, Mittuniversietet, Campus Östersund, Sweden
- Invited talk, Peak Consulting, Året projektdag, June 2016
- Join the program committee for 11th IEEE International Conference on Global Software Engineering will held at University of California, Irvine, Abstract submissions are January 29th and Paper submissions are February 5th 2016 http://www.ics.uci.edu/~icgse2016/6_0committees.html
- Participated in SIGCHI workshop for Brazilian CSCW/CHI researchers: Mentor and panel speaker, Salvador, Brazil: Nov 2015
- Invited participant and speaker: Perspectives on Fabrication: Mobility, digital proximity, workshop on Re-thinking Technology Innovation, University of Salzburg, Austria, September 2015
- Keynote at 41st Euromicro Conference on SEAA and DSD: Global Software Development in a CSCW perspective: From Distance to Politics, Malta, Portugal, August 2015
- Invited talk: Sociomaterial-Design: Bounding Technologies in Practice, University of Trento, Italy:June 2015
- Invited talk: Sociomaterial-Design: Bounding Technologies in Practice, University of Michigan, USA, March 2015
- Joined the Advisory board for Journal of CSCW May 2015-
- InnovationLab talk Presenting results from NexGSD for project managers
- CSCW2016; co-paper chair together with Joe Konstant
- CHI2016, sub-committee co-chair together with Sadat Shami
- ECIS2016, Associate Editor, sub-committee Socio technical approaches to organizational learning and change
- Invited talk, "Practice-based CSCW research & why we should remain optimistic while re-thinking the future of ECSCW", Work practices and computing technologies: Taking stock, CBS, September 2016
- CHI2015, sub-committee co-chair together with Sadat Shami
- GROUP2014, co-paper chair together with David MacDonald
- Program committee member CSCW2015 and Student Reviewing Mentor Chair
- Special Issue on Software Engineering from a Social Network Perspective, Springer Open Journal of Internet Services and Applications (JISA) together with Marco Aurelio Gerosa (University of São Paulo), David Redmiles (University of California, Irvine), and Anita Sarma (University of Nebraska)
- Program committee member CSCW2014
- Program committee member CAPS2014
- Program committee member SCIS2014
- Program committee member PDC2014
- Active part of the EUSSET community see also position statement.
- Special Issue on Infrastructures in healthcare, to be published in Scandinavian Journal of Information Systems, together with Professor Gunnar Ellingsen,
- Special Issue on Infrastructures in healthcare: Global Health, International Journal of Medical Informatics, co-editor with Professor Finn Kensing, 2013
- Program committee member ECSCW2013
- Program committee member CHI2013, subcommittee beyond the individual
- Program committee member SCIS2013
- "Infrastructures in Healthcare, Tromsø Norway, June 2013" co-chair with Professor Gunnar Ellingsen
- Program committee member SCIS2012
- Third International workshop on Infrastructures in Healthcare: Global health, workshop at IT University of Copenhagen, June 2011, co-char Professor Finn Kensing
- CSCW2012. Video co-chair together with Matt Bietz in Seattle
- Program committee member ECSCW2011
- Program committee member SCIS2011
- International workshop Collaborative Practices & Collaborative Technologies , main chair, in October 2010,
- GROUP 2010, Note co-chair with Gillian Hayes, UCI
- Program committee member ECSCW2009
- Co-constructing IT and Healthcare CITH-project, 2008-2010
- DARSIS PhD school - Pernille serve as the ITU representative.
- GIRI initiative - Global Interaction Research Initiative, where she served as Research Manager as well as Research Coordinator in the period 2009-2012. As part of this initiative, she created industrial contacts with organisation supporting ITU students to conduct research projects in global settings - e.g. Danske Bank and L&T InfoTech.
- ACTION for Health research project, where she did Sociomaterial-Design together with an Emergency Department at a Paediatric Canadian Hospital. As part of ACTION for health she received the Participatory Design Conference Artful Integration Award; the Award of excellence by the British Columbia Children’s and Women’s hospital both in 2008. Finally, one of the papers (co-authored paper with Ellen Balka and Ina Wagner) from this research received the Best-paper Award at the CSCW2008.
- Healthcare IT, HIT-research group
- DIWA project participants between 2002-2006
Contact: pernille.bjorn @ di.ku.dk; Phone: +45 53414552; Njalsgade 128, Building 24, 5th floor, room 48 2300 Copenhagen S, Denmark